Tugrul Guner, PhD
“Understanding the Universe First” and “Engineering the Universe Second” were the two main motivations of Dr Guner when he decided to go for an academic career in Physics. Since he is a serious fan of Sci-Fi stories, he always had the dream of traveling to the stars and to the other galaxies, even to the other Universes (if it is possible of course). He is still working on various subjects hoping to find his way to make these dreams come true.
He got his BSc. degree in Physics from Bilkent University in Turkey. Then he started to study quantum mechanics foundations during his MSc. at the Physics department of Izmir Institute of Technology under the supervision of Prof Durmus Ali Demir. After his graduation, he switched his subject from theory to application and started to work on the fabrication of efficient polymer based color conversion layers for white light-emitting diodes together with Prof Mustafa M Demir at the same university but in the Materials Science and Engineering department this time.
He came to Canada in December 2018 to start his work as a postdoctoral fellow at the Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS) under the supervision of Prof Aycan Yurtsever. The topic he involved during his postdoc was related to the use of Ultrafast Transmission Electron Microscopy (UTEM). It is a time-resolved electron microscopy which can reveal the energy transfer mechanisms and ultrafast processes governing the light-matter interactions at the nanoscale regime. Apart from the use of UTEM, he also gained significant experience in the use of regular TEM and he applied advanced electron microscopy techniques. Since he is in love with coding, he also worked on different data processing, image processing and data analysis (mostly AI based) techniques to develop algorithms to improve our understanding and our interpretation on the collected data and also to develop microscopy automation techniques.
Currently, Dr Guner started his second postdoctoral fellow position at the University of Ottawa under the supervision of Prof Ebrahim Karimi. He is working on various topics from developing state of the art electron microscopy and microscopy techniques to implementing artificial intelligence algorithms to different quantum optics involving subjects like quantum imaging, quantum teleportation, compressed sensing, pulse shaping, etc.
Apart from his academic studies, he is extremely interested in entrepreneurship, especially in the sense of bringing high tech ideas to the commercialization level. He wants to create future technologies through building bridges between academia, industry and society. This is the way he believes we can accelerate the scientific discoveries and technological advancements for our future because he strongly believes we are stronger all together. He also loves writing stories, playing video-games and anything related to Role Playing Games and Fantastic Role Playing.
- Rotunno, E., Gargiulo, S., Vanacore, G. M., Mechel, C., Tavabi, A., Borkowski, R. E. D., Carbone, F., Maidan, I., Zanfrognini, M., Frabboni, S., Guner, T., Karimi, E., Kaminer, I., Grillo, V. One-dimensional ghost imaging with an electron microscope: a route towards ghost imaging with inelastically scattered electrons. arxiv: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.08955 (2021).
- Arica, T. A., Isik, T., Guner, T., Horzum, N., Demir, M. M. Advances in Electrospun Fiber‐Based Flexible Nanogenerators for Wearable Applications. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 306, 2100143 (2021).
- Yannan, L., Chuanshuang, C., Valdez, J., Débora, M. M., Wanting, He, Yong, W., Harnagea, C., Qiongqiong, Lu, Guner, T., Wang, H., Chenghao, Liu, Qingzhe, Z., Shengyun, H., Yurtsever, A., Chaker, M., Ma, D. Phase-enabled metal-organic framework homojunction for highly selective CO 2 photoreduction. Nature Communications, 12, 1-13 (2021).
- Inci, E., Topcu, G., Guner, T., Demirkurt, M. and Demir, M. M. Recent Developments on Colorimetric Mechanical Sensors based on Polymer Composites. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 8, 12036 (2020).
- Yuce, H., Guner, T., Dartar, S., Kaya, B. U., Emrullahoglu, M., Demir, M. M. BODIPY based Organic Color Conversion Layers for WLEDs. Dyes and Pigments, 173, 107932 (2020).
- Guner, T., Yuce, H., Tascioglu, D., Simsek, E., Savaci, U., Genc, A., Turan, S., Demir, M. M. Optimization and Performance of Nitrogen-doped Carbon Dots as Water-based Color Conversion Layer For White-LED Applications. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 10, 2004 (2019).
- Valdez, A. J., Besteiro, L. V., Mahfoud, Z., Guner, T., Yurtsever, A. Optical Resonances of Hollow Nanocubes Controlled with Sub-particle Structural Morphologies. Nanoscale, 11, 13790 (2019).
- Topcu, G., Guner, T., Inci, E., Demir, M. M. Colorimetric and plasmonic pressure sensors based on polyacrylamide/Au nanoparticles. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 295, 503 (2019).
- Ozen, S., Guner, T., Topcu, G., Ozcan, M., Demir, M. M., Sahin, H. Experimental and first-principles investigation of Cr-driven color change in cesium lead halide perovskites. Journal of Applied Physics, 125, 225705 (2019).
- Guner, T., Kus, A., Ozcan, M., Genc, A., Sahin, H., Demir, M. M. Green fabrication of lanthanide-doped hydroxide-based phosphors: Y(OH)3:Eu3+ nanoparticles for white light generation. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 10, 1200 (2019).
- Gökbulut, B., Inanc, A., Topcu, G., Guner, T., Demir, M. M., Inci, N. Enhancement of Spontaneous Emission Rate of Perovskite Nanowires Coupled into Cylindrical Hollow Nanocavities Formed on the Surface of Polystyrene Microfibers. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 123(14), 9343 (2019).
- Shukla, S. K., Kushwaha, C. S., Guner, T., Demir, M. M. Chemically modified optical fibers in advanced technology: An overview. Optics & Laser Technology, 115, 404 (2019).
- Yuce, H., Guner, T., Balci, S., Demir, M. M. Phosphor-based White LED by Various Glassy Particles: Control over Luminous Efficiency. Optics Letters, 44(3), 479 (2019).
- Guner, T., Aksoy, E., Varlikli, C., and Demir, M. M. Perylene-Embedded Electrospun PS Fibers for White Light Generation. Dyes and Pigments, 160, 501 (2019).
- Guner, T., Akbali, B., Ozcan, M., Topcu, G., Demir, M. M., and Sahin, H. Monitoring the Doping and Diffusion Characteristics of Mn Dopants in Cesium Lead Halide Perovskites. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 122, 11543 (2018).
- Guner, T., Demir, M. M. A Review on Halide Perovskites as Color Conversion Layers in WLED Applications. Physica Status Solidi A: Applications and Materials Science, 215, 1800120 (2018).
- Akbali, B., Topcu, G., Guner, T., Ozcan, M., Demir, M. M., Sahin, H. CsPbBr3 Perovskites: Theoretical and Experimental Investigation on Water-assisted Transition from nanowire to degradation. Physical Review Materials, 2, 034601.
- Guner, T., Topcu, G., Savaci, U., Genc, A., Turan, S., Sari, E., Demir. M. M. Polarized Emission from CsPbBr3 Nanowires Embedded-Electrospun PU fibers. Nanotechnology, 29, 135202 (2018).
- Topcu, G., Guner, T., Demir, M.M. Non-Iridescent Structural Colors from uniform sized SiO2 Colloids. Photonics and Nanostructures – Fundamentals and Applications, 29, 22-29 (2018).
- Emrullahoglu, M., Sayar, M., Karakus, E., Guner, T., Yildiz, B., & Yildiz, U. H. A BODIPY-based fluorescent probe to visually detect phosgene: Toward the development of a handheld phosgene detector. Chemistry: A European Journal, 24, 3136 (2018).
- Demir, D. A., Guner, T. Statistical Approach to Tunneling Time in Attosecond Experiments. Annals of Physics, 386, 291 (2017).
- Guner, T., Senturk, U., & Demir, M. M. Optical enhancement of phosphor-converted wLEDs using glass beads. Optical Materials, 72, 769-774 (2017).
- Guner, T., Koseoglu, D., & Demir, M. M. Multilayer design of hybrid phosphor film for application in LEDs. Optical Materials, 60, 422-430 (2016).
- Incel, A., Guner, T., Parlak, O., & Demir, M. M. Null Extinction of Ceria@ silica Hybrid Particles: Transparent Polystyrene Composites. ACS applied materials & interfaces, 7(49), 27539-27546 (2015).
- Topcu, G., Guner, T., and Demir, M. M. Springer – Ionic Polymer Metal Composites for Sensors and Actuators, Chapter: Pressure sensors based on IPMC actuator, (2019).
- Guner, T., Senturk, U., and Demir, M. M. Cam Boncuk Katkılı Beyaz LED Üretimi (Producing White LED with Glass Bead Additive). Turkish Patent and Trademark Office, (2017).