Hugo Larocque is a graduate physics student at the University of Ottawa. In 2012, prior to beginning his studies, he was awarded the Faculty of Science’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship. The latter enabled him to gain experience in fiber optics research, namely in the fabrication and the use of several microfiber structures for optical sensing and other applications. He spent two more summers in the field before joining the structural quantum optics group in 2015 to work on the construct of quantum gates and algorithms based upon single photon optical angular momentum degrees of freedom. A year later, he completed his honours thesis entitled “Generation and fabrication of novel liquid crystal devices for quantum computations and communications” under the supervision of Prof. Karimi. He obtained his honours B.Sc. in physics in 2016 and received the Faculty Plaque in Physics and the Faculty of Science University Silver Medal. He began his master’s studies in the summer of the same year. His current research focuses lie within the implementation of quantum computation protocols through the use of novel and custom-made optical elements and devices. His interests also lie within the theoretical investigation of interactions between materials and twisted electron wavefunctions in order to find new ways of probing material properties or sorting and measuring an electron’s OAM content.
Office: +1 (613) 562-5800 X 3339
SQO Lab ARC 122: +1 (613) 562-5800 X 8657
SQO Lab ARC 451: +1 (613) 562-5800 X 1378
- H Larocque, R Fickler, E Cohen, V Grillo, R E Dunin-Borkowski, G Leuchs & E Karimi, Structured Quantum Projectiles, Physical Review A 99, 023628 (2019).
- F Nejadsattari, Y Zhang, F Bouchard, H Larocque, A Sit, E Cohen, R Fickler & E Karimi, Experimental realization of wave-packet dynamics in cyclic quantum walks, Optica 6, 174 (2019).
- F Kong, H Larocque, E Karimi, P B Corkum & C Zhang, Generating few-cycle radially polarized pulses, Optica 6, 160 (2019).
- Y Zhang, A Sit, F Bouchard, H Larocque, F Grenapin, E Cohen, A-C Elitzur, J L Harden, R W Boyd & E Karimi, Interaction-Free Ghost-Imaging of Structured Objects, Optics Express 27, 2212 (2019).
- M Alameer, A Jain, M G Rahimian, H Larocque, P B Corkum, E Karimi & V R Bhardwaj, Mapping complex polarization states of light on a solid, Optics Letters 43, 5757-5760 (2018)
- H Larocque, D Sugic, D Mortimer, A J Taylor, R Fickler, R W Boyd, M R Dennis & E Karimi, Reconstructing the topology of optical polarization knots, Nature Physics 14, 1079 (2018).
- H Larocque, I Kaminer, V Grillo, G Leuchs, M J Padgett, R W Boyd, M Segev & E Karimi, ‘Twisted’ electrons, Contemporary Physics 59, 1-19 (2018).
- H Larocque, I Kaminer, V Grillo, R W Boyd & E Karimi, Twisting neutrons may reveal their internal structure, Nature Physics 14, 1–2 (2018).
- A. Sit, F. Bouchard, R. Fickler, J. Gagnon-Bischoff, H. Larocque, K. Heshami, D. Elser, C. Peuntinger, K. Gunthner, B. Heim, C. Marquardt, G. Leuchs, R.W. Boyd, and E. Karimi, High-Dimensional intra-city quantum cryptography with structured photons, Optica 4, 1006 (2017).
- V. Grillo, A. H. Tavabi, E. Yucelen, P.-H Lu, F. Venturi, H. Larocque, L. Jin, A. Savenko, G. C. Gazzadi, R. Balboni, S. Frabboni, P. Tiemeijer, R. E. Dunin-Borkowski, and E. Karimi, Towards a holographic approach to spherical aberration correction in scanning transmission electron microscopy, Optics Express 18, 21851 (2017).
- H Larocque, J Gagnon-Bischoff, D Mortimer, Y Zhang, F Bouchard, J Upham, V Grillo, R W Boyd, and E Karimi, Generalized optical angular momentum sorter and its application to high-dimensional quantum cryptography, Optics Express 25, 19832 (2017).
- V Grillo, A H. Tavabi, F Venturi, H Larocque, R Balboni, G C Gazzadi, S Frabboni, P-H Lu, E Mafakheri, F Bouchard, R E. Dunin-Borkowski, R W. Boyd, M P. J. Lavery, M J. Padgett, and E Karimi, Measuring the orbital angular momentum spectrum of an electron beam, Nature Communications 8, 15536 (2017).
- H Larocque, and E Karimi, A New Twist on Relativistic Electron Vortices, Physics Viewpoint 10, 26 (2017).
- H Larocque, J Gagnon-Bischoff, F Bouchard, R Fickler, J Upham, R W. Boyd, and E Karimi, Arbitrary optical wavefront shaping via spin-to-orbit coupling, Journal of Optics 18, 124002 (2016).
- F Bouchard, H Larocque, A M. Yao, Ch Travis, I De Leon, A Rubano, E Karimi, G-L Oppo, and R W. Boyd, Polarization shaping for control of nonlinear propagation, Physical Review Letters 117, 233903 (2016).
- H Larocque, F Bouchard, V Grillo, A Sit, S Frabboni, R E Dunin-Borkowski, M J Padgett, R W Boyd, and E Karimi, Nondestructive measurement of orbital angular momentum for an electron beam, Physical Review Letters 117, 154801 (2016).
- Hugo Larocque, Ping Lu, and Xiaoyi Bao, Phase-shift detection in a Fourier-transform method for temperature sensing using a tapered fiber microknot resonator, Optics Letters 41, 1344-1347 (2016).
- Jérémie Harris, Ping Lu, Hugo Larocque, Liang Chen, and Xiaoyi Bao. “In-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometric sensors with guided and leaky modes.” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 206, 246-251 (2015).
- Jérémie Harris, Ping Lu, Hugo Larocque, Yanping Xu, Liang Chen, and Xiaoyi Bao. “Highly sensitive in-fiber interferometric refractometer with temperature and axial strain compensation.” Optics Express 21, 9996-10009 (2013).
- Jérémie Harris, Ping Lu, Hugo Larocque, Liang Chen and Xiaoyi Bao. In-fiber interferometers for temperature corrected refractive index sensing with guided and leaky modes. Paper presented at: Optical Sensors II. IEEE Sensors Conference; 2013 November 3-6; Balitmore, MD, United States of America.
- Jérémie Harris, Ping Lu, Hugo Larocque, Yanping Xu, Liang Chen and Xiaoyi Bao. Temperature and strain compensation for refractive index measurement using bend-insensitive optical fiber. Paper presented at: Photonic Sensors. 15th Annual Photonics North Conference; 2013 June 3-5; Ottawa, ON, Canada.