Frédéric Bouchard is an experimental physicist interested in quantum optics, Orbital Angular Momentum of light, structured light and fundamental problems in quantum mechanics. In 2014, he graduated from the University of Ottawa where he obtained his B.Sc. in physics for which he has received the Faculty of Science plaque for the highest standing in the honours bachelor in physics and the University Silver Medal for the second-highest standing in the honours bachelor in the Faculty of Science. He previously worked for 3 years at the SUNLAB with Professor Karin Hinzer on numerical modelling of novel solar cell designs. He joined Professor Robert Boyd’s Quantum Photonics group at the university of Ottawa in 2013 for his honours project entitled “Propagation of light carrying optical angular momentum in nonlinear medium”. In 2016, he received his Master degree in Physics from the university of Ottawa. His thesis, “Classical and quantum dynamics of twisted light”, was completed under the supervision of Professor Ebrahim Karimi (Structural Quantum Optics group) and Professor Robert Boyd (Quantum Photonics group). He is now a Ph.D. student in the Structural Quantum Optics group at the university of Ottawa.
Office: +1 (613) 562-5800 X3339
SQO Lab ARC 122: +1 (613) 562-5800 X 8657
SQO Lab ARC 451: +1 (613) 562-5800 X 1378
- Quantum cryptography with twisted photons through an outdoor underwater channel, F Bouchard, A Sit, F Hufnagel, A Abbas, Y Zhang, K Heshami, R Fickler, C Marquardt, G Leuchs, R W Boyd & E Karimi, Optics Express 26, 22563-22573 (2018).
- Quantum cryptography with structured photons through a vortex fiber, A Sit, R Fickler, F Alsaiari, F Bouchard, H Larocque, P Gregg, L Yan, R W Boyd, S Ramachandran & E Karimi, Optics Letters 43, 4108 (2018).
- Round-Robin Differential Phase-Shift Quantum Key Distribution with Twisted Photons, F Bouchard, A Sit, K Heshami, R Fickler & E Karimi, Physical Review A 96, 010301(R) (2018).
- Quantum metrology at the limit with extremal Majorana constellations, F. Bouchard, P. de la Hoz, G. Björk, R. W. Boyd, M. Grassl, Z. Hradil, E. Karimi, A. B. Klimov, G. Leuchs, J. Řeháček, and L. L. Sánchez-Soto, Optica 4, 1429 (2017).
- Observation of nanoscale magnetic fields using twisted electron beams, V Grillo, T R Harvey, F Venturi, J S Pierce, R Balboni, F Bouchard, G C Gazzadi, S Frabboni, A H Tavabi, Z-A Li, R E Dunin-Borkowski, R W Boyd, B J McMorran, and E Karimi, Nature Communications 8, 689 (2017).
- Polarization dependent nanostructuring of silicon with femtosecond vortex pulse, M. G. Rahimian, F. Bouchard, H. Al-Khazraji, E. Karimi, P. B. Corkum, and V. R. Bhardwaj, APL Photonics 2, 086104 (2017).
- Generalized optical angular momentum sorter and its application to high-dimensional quantum cryptography, H Larocque, J Gagnon-Bischoff, D Mortimer, Y Zhang, F Bouchard, J Upham, V Grillo, R W Boyd, and E Karimi, Optics Express 25, 19832 (2017).
- High-Dimensional intra-city quantum cryptography with structured photons, A. Sit, F. Bouchard, R. Fickler, J. Gagnon-Bischoff, H. Larocque, K. Heshami, D. Elser, C. Peuntinger, K. Gunthner, B. Heim, C. Marquardt, G. Leuchs, R.W. Boyd, and E. Karimi, Optica 4, 1006 (2017). (On news outlet: link1, link2, link3, link4, link5)
- Measuring the orbital angular momentum spectrum of an electron beam, V Grillo, A H Tavabi, F Venturi, H Larocque, R Balboni, G C Gazzadi, S Frabboni, P-H Lu, E Mafakheri, F Bouchard, R E Dunin-Borkowski, R W Boyd, M P J Lavery, M J Padgett, and E Karimi, Nature Communications 8, 15536 (2017).
- Controlling the orbital angular momentum of high harmonic vortices, F Kong, C Zhang, F Bouchard, Z Li, G G Brown, D H Ko, T J Hammond, L Arissian, R W Boyd, E Karimi, and P B Corkum, Nature Communications 8, 14970 (2017).
- High-dimensional quantum cloning and applications to quantum hacking, F Bouchard, R Fickler, R W Boyd, and E Karimi, Science Advances 3, e1601915 (2017).
- Observation of subluminal twisted light in vacuum: reply, F Bouchard, R W Boyd, and E Karimi, Optica 4, 207-208 (2017).
- Frédéric Bouchard, Hugo Larocque, Alison M. Yao, Christopher Travis, Israel De Leon, Andrea Rubano, Ebrahim Karimi, Gian-Luca Oppo, and Robert W. Boyd, Polarization shaping for control of nonlinear propagation, Physical Review Letters 117, 233903 (2016).
- Hugo Larocque, Jérémie Gagnon-Bischoff, Frédéric Bouchard, Robert Fickler, Jeremy Upham, Robert W. Boyd, and Ebrahim Karimi, Arbitrary optical wavefront shaping via spin-to-orbit coupling, Journal of Optics 18, 124002 (2016).
- Hugo Larocque, Frédéric Bouchard, Vincenzo Grillo, Alicia Sit, Stefano Frabboni, Rafal E Dunin-Borkowski, Miles J Padgett, Robert W Boyd, and Ebrahim Karimi, Nondestructive measurement of orbital angular momentum for an electron beam, Physical Review Letters 117, 154801 (2016).
- Pawel Woźniak, Peter Banzer, Frédéric Bouchard, Ebrahim Karimi, Gerd Leuchs, Robert W Boyd, Tighter spots of light with superposed orbital angular momentum beams, Physical Review A 94,021803(R) (2016).
- Jeremie Harris, Frédéric Bouchard, Enrico Santamato, Wojciech H Zurek, Robert W Boyd, and Ebrahim Karimi, Quantum probabilities from quantum entanglement: Experimentally unpacking the Born rule, New Journal of Physics 18, 053013 (2016).
- Frédéric Bouchard, Jeremie Harris, Harjaspreet Mand, Robert W Boyd, and Ebrahim Karimi, Observation of sub-luminal twisted light in vacuum, Optica 3, 351 (2016). (On news outlet: link1, link2, link3, link4, link5)
- Sebastian A. Schulz, Jeremy Upham, Frédéric Bouchard, Israel De Leon, Ebrahim Karimi, and Robert W. Boyd, Quantifying the impact of proximity error correction on plasmonic metasurfaces, Optical Materials Express 5, 2798 (2015).
- Frédéric Bouchard, Jeremie Harris, Harjaspreet Mand, Nicolas Bent, Enrico Santamato, Robert W Boyd, and Ebrahim Karimi, Observation of quantum recoherence of photons by spatial propagation, Scientific Reports 5, 15330 (2015).
- Ali Akbar Ahangary, Frédéric Bouchard, Enrico Santamato, Ebrahim Karimi, Hamid Reza Khalesifard, Dynamics of laser-induced radial birefringence in silver-doped glasses, Optics Letters 40, 4062 (2015).
- Frédéric Bouchard, Harjaspreet Mand, Mohammad Mirhosseini, Ebrahim Karimi, Robert W Boyd, Achromatic orbital angular momentum generator, New journal of Physics 16, 123006 (2014). [PDF] (Research Highlights by Nature Photonics)
- Frédéric Bouchard, Israel De Leon, Sebastian A Schulz, Jeremy Upham, Ebrahim Karimi, Robert W Boyd, Optical spin-to-orbital angular momentum conversion in ultra-thin metasurfaces with arbitrary topological charges, Applied Physics Letters, 105, 101905 (2014).
- Alexandre W. Walker, Frédéric Bouchard, Anna H. Trojnar, and Karin Hinzer, Inverted metamorphic III-V triple-junction solar cell with a 1 eV CuInSe2 bottom sub-cell, International Journal of Photoenergy, 2014, (2014).
- Sebastian A. Schulz, Jeremy Upham, Frédéric Bouchard, Israel De Leon, Ebrahim Karimi and Robert W. Boyd, “Building a better metasurface: high accuracy fabrication of plasmonic nanostructures.” Meta15, (2015).
- Frédéric Bouchard, Alexandre W. Walker, Zetian Mi, and Karin Hinzer, “Modeling a monocrystalline Cu(In,Ga)Se2 single junction solar cell grown on a GaAs substrate.” Proc. SPIE 8915, Photonics North 2013, 891507-891507 ,(2013).
- Sebastian A. Schulz, Ebrahim Karimi, Israel De Leon, Frédéric Bouchard, Hammam Qassim, Jeremy Upham, and Robert W. Boyd, “Plasmonic Metasurfaces for the Generation of Optical Orbital Angular Momentum.” Frontiers in Optics, FTu2A-3, (2014).
- Frédéric Bouchard, “Modeling high efficiency multi-junction solar cell design integrating III-V and I-III-VI semiconductors.” University of Ottawa UROP symposium, (2013).